YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK
On our Best of the West tour of the United States, a day trip to Yosemite National Park in California was greatly anticipated. Our tour guide did not want to allude much as to what was beyond the tunnel, before obtaining the first glimpse of the National Park. Passing through the dimly lit tunnel towards the white light, no one was prepared for the sight that we were about to experience. Upon exiting the tour bus, the appropriately named Tunnel View provided a flawless panorama for a day tripper to appreciate the grandeur of this natural wonder. The views over Yosemite Valley span from El Capitan, a granite formation surpassing 3,000 ft to the rainbow tinged Bridalveil Fall and with Half Dome sneaking in as the centrepiece of the landscape.
IN SUMMARY | What you need to know….
– LOCATION – Yosemite National Park, Sierra Nevada California
– VIEW POINT – Tunnel View – East end of the Wawona Tunnel, Wawona Road (Highway 41)
– AIRPORT – Merced Airport or San Francisco International Airport
– STAY – Hampton Inn & Suites Merced
– ROOM – Studio Suite 302
– DRIVE – Merced to Yosemite National Park – 130 km
San Francisco via Highway 120 to Yosemite National Park – 314 km
All photos by Mel McLeod ©